Thursday, February 17, 2011

Creamy Cauliflower Mac

What you may not know... is I am attempting to not let the fat man catch me become more clean in my eating.. I am sure you have heard about all the Clean Eating all over the place.. but its made a difference in my world... and yes, I still continue to bake... I know I am almost as back as the lung cancer patient that continues to smoke RIGHT? ... shut up.. I know!!!

You see, when my other half arrived back from his deployment - I wanted to continue with my healthy eating + his physical activity routine = one big happy family... big being just an adverb?

I did have moments where I fell off the wagon alittle - well I made SWEETS that were gluten free (that has to count for SOMETHING) .. but I couldn't deprive the guy of home made goodies he longed for... COME ON... he fights for our freedom!!!... so I digress...

I made this two nights ago...  CREAMY CAULIFLOWER MAC, I added chicken pieces to the dish, for my protein.


Mark Bittman's recipe (RunnersWorld magazine- March 2011)
  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces
  • 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Gruyere)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Boil a pot of salted water.
  2. In a saucepan, warm stock and bay leaves on medium-low heat for five minutes; turn off heat.
  3. Cook cauliflower in boiling water for 25 minutes. Put cauliflower in a food processor.
  4. Cook pasta in boiling water for five minutes. Drain and rinse to cool; put pasta in a greased, nine-inch square baking dish.
  5. Process cauliflower with stock (discard bay leaves), cheese, oil, mustard, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, working in batches.
  6. Pour sauce over pasta, toss, and spread evenly in dish. Top with Parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake 20 minutes.

No comments: